lay asidephrasal verb
laid aside; laying aside; lays aside
Definition of lay aside
1 : to place (something) to one side She laid aside the book she had been reading and turned on the TV. —often used figuratively Plans for a new school have been laid aside.We need to lay our differences aside so that we can learn to work together.
2 : to keep (something) for special or future use : to reserve or save (something) She has been able to lay aside a few dollars each week.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game