lay a/the foundationidiom
Definition of lay a/the foundation
1 : to create a usually stone or concrete structure that supports a building from underneath
2 : to provide something (such as an idea, a principle, or a fact) from which another thing develops or can develop Her early research laid the foundation for many important medical discoveries.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?