Definition of knock-on effect
: something (such as a process, action, or event) that causes other things to happen The drought is likely to have a knock-on effect throughout the whole economy.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Different Words for Luggage and Baggage
- Rapping on 'Bad Rap' and 'Bad Rep' (and 'Bad Wrap')
- 'Confuzzled': A Not So Confusing Definition
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 5/17/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game