knock oneself outidiom
Definition of knock oneself out
1 : to cause oneself to become unconscious He hit his head against the table when he fell and knocked himself out.
2 informal : to make oneself very tired by doing work I knocked myself out to get the job done on time.
3 US —used to tell someone to go ahead and do something "Do you mind if I use this exercise machine first?" "Knock yourself out."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
- At the Root of ‘Cubicle’
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game