knock oneself outidiom
Definition of knock oneself out
1 : to cause oneself to become unconscious He hit his head against the table when he fell and knocked himself out.
2 informal : to make oneself very tired by doing work I knocked myself out to get the job done on time.
3 US —used to tell someone to go ahead and do something "Do you mind if I use this exercise machine first?" "Knock yourself out."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game