keep outphrasal verb
kept out; keeping out; keeps out
Definition of keep out
1 : to not enter a place The sign on the door said "Keep out!"
2 : to stop or prevent (someone or something) from entering a place The curtains help keep out the drafts.
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game