Definition of kailyard
(Entry 1 of 2)
kailyardadjective, often capitalized
\ " \
Definition of kailyard (Entry 2 of 2)
of a school of writers
: characterized by sentimental description of Scottish life and considerable use of Scots dialect such various aspects of Scottish life as whiskey, deerstalking, salmon fishing, the Kailyard school of writers— Janet Adams Smith
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game