variants: or that depends
Definition of it depends
—used in speech to say that the answer to a question will be different in different situations "Do you think you'll go back to college?" "It all depends. I will if I can afford it.""Which team do you think will win?" "That depends. If all of our players are healthy, I think we'll win." —sometimes shortened to depends "How long does it take to get to the airport?" "Depends. If you're going during rush hour it'll take at least an hour."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?