Definition of interbed
(Entry 1 of 2)
: to lie or settle in sedimentary layers between other existing layers … consists of … sandstones of variable thickness that interbed with grey and greenish shales.— D. J. W. Piper
Definition of interbed (Entry 2 of 2)
: a typically thin layer of one kind of sedimentary material located between layers of another kind … it ranges from boulder gravel to pebble gravel, with local interbeds of sand …— R. B. Morrison
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game