variants: or less commonly inter-basin
Definition of interbasin
: between, relating to, or involving two or more basins (see basin sense 3) Interbasin transfers are simple in concept … For example, if the Sabine River basin in East Texas has an abundance of water, it makes sense for a drought-stricken region of the state to purchase water from the Sabine basin.— Paul Workman
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game