Examples of inquiry in a Sentence
- Discovered when Galileo Galilei turned the first astronomical telescope to the heavens in 1610, the Jovian system has been a focus of scientific inquiry ever since. —Chad Galts, Brown Alumni Monthly, November 1996
- … his head was tilted at the precise angle of inquiry as to where he should put Muhlenberg's drink. —Theodore Sturgeon, E Pluribus Unicorn, (1953) 1965
- … distinguish between legitimate legislative inquiry into the acts of a man … and illegitimate inquiry into opinions … —Norman Thomas, New Republic, 28 Feb. 1955
She refused to answer inquiries from the media about her marriage.
The board ordered an inquiry to determine whether the rules had been followed.
Further inquiry showed that he had visited the city twice before.
The police are pursuing a new line of inquiry.
Recent Examples of inquiry from the Web
Before addressing inquiries about future All-Star locales, Silver, unprompted, cited his avid interest in expanding the league’s reach via technology.
With the renovated Tower Building recently beginning to rent its apartments, Fukala said other developers have made inquiries about other potential residential conversion opportunities.
Deans of the most prestigious law schools in the country demanded that Congress commence an impeachment inquiry.
Situated just west of State Road 436, Park, Bark and Fly engaged with the water district but did not follow through with Orange County or the Corps of Engineers after preliminary inquiries last year about permit needs.
The one player who took questions, former Daphne High School standout Eric Lee, declined to answer inquiries about Butler.
The board of Wynn Resorts has announced an inquiry by a special committee into the reports, the veracity of which Mr Wynn denies.
The Nunes memo is simply another hyperpartisan weapon in a hyperpartisan battle to discredit the very idea of an independent inquiry into the murky doings of foreign and domestic agents and their foreign and domestic puppet-masters.
In 1974, the Republicans didn’t engage in hijinks designed to wreck any congressional inquiry into Watergate.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'inquiry.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
INQUIRY Defined for English Language Learners
INQUIRY Defined for Kids
Definition of inquiry for Students
- On further inquiry, we learned his name.
- The inquiry is confidential.
- an official inquiry
legal Definition of inquiry
- such doubt as would cause a reasonable person to make an inquiry
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up inquiry? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).