in the person ofidiom
Definition of in the person of
—used to say that someone is the person who does something, provides something, etc. Relief during the blackout arrived in the person of my brother, who brought flashlights and candles.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game