in the middle ofidiom
Definition of in the middle of
1 : while (something) is happening or being done : during (something) The protesters interrupted her in the middle of her speech. He kept waking up in the middle of the night. The movie was so bad we walked out right in the middle of it.
2 : in the process of (doing something) I was in the middle of (eating) dinner when the phone rang.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game