in the meanwhileidiom
Definition of in the meanwhile
1 : at or during the same time : while something else is being done or was being done You can set the table. In the meanwhile, I'll start making dinner. She spent four years studying for her law degree. In the meanwhile, she continued to work at the bank.
2 : during the time before something happens or before a specified period ends The new computers won't arrive until next week, but we can keep using the old ones in the meanwhile.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
- An Overview of the Contronym 'Overlook'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game