in the meantimeidiom
Definition of in the meantime
1 : during the time before something happens or before a specified period ends The new computers won't arrive until next week, but we can keep using the old ones in the meantime.
2 : while something else is being done or was being done She spent four years studying for her law degree. In the meantime, she continued to work at the bank.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game