in the meantimeidiom
Definition of in the meantime
1 : during the time before something happens or before a specified period ends The new computers won't arrive until next week, but we can keep using the old ones in the meantime.
2 : while something else is being done or was being done She spent four years studying for her law degree. In the meantime, she continued to work at the bank.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game