in relation toidiom
Definition of in relation to
1 —used to compare to the size, shape, or position of (some other part of the same thing) The monkey's eyes are large in relation to its head.
2 —used to talk about what something is like by seeing how it is related to something else understanding literature in relation to history
3 : about (something or someone) : in reference to I have several comments to make in relation to the subject at hand.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game