Definition of in name
—used with a following statement to say that something is so by name or title but that is not the way things really are The Emperor rules in name but not in fact.She's my boss in name, but we're really more like partners.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game