in name onlyidiom
Definition of in name only
—used to describe a person, thing, or action that does not have the qualities that its name suggests She's my boss in name only. We're really more like partners.a friend in name onlyFor many years, the Emperor ruled in name only.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?