Definition of in distress
1 : very upset He was clearly in distress upon hearing the news.
2 : in a very difficult situation in which one does not have enough money, food, etc. She's chosen to devote her life to helping those in distress.
3 of a boat, airplane, etc. : in a state of danger or desperate need The ship was in distress.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game