Examples of imposture in a Sentence
He was accused of imposture.
Recent Examples of imposture from the Web
Thus begins a chain of machinations, impostures, and stratagems, including mare’s sweat, pirates, cross-dressing, and mistaken identity.
The actual lady’s maid (wryly mocking Stephanie Goodman) is fully on to Bludgepot’s imposture and watches his scrambling with a sardonic smirk.
A comic look at art, race, and imposture from award-winner James Ijames.
These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'imposture.' Views expressed in the examples do not represent the opinion of Merriam-Webster or its editors. Send us feedback.
Origin and Etymology of imposture
First Known Use: 1537See Words from the same year
Synonym Discussion of imposture
- their claim of environmental concern is an imposture
- the diary was exposed as a fraud
- condemned the election as a sham
- these jewels are fakes; the real ones are in the vault
- creating publicity by foisting humbugs on a gullible public
- 20-dollar bills that were counterfeits
IMPOSTURE Defined for English Language Learners
IMPOSTURE Defined for Kids
Seen and Heard
What made you want to look up imposture? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).