Definition of ill-begotten
1 : having an illicit or improper origin : ill-gotten … if they were stolen for fun and not profit the thieves are going to be pretty disappointed with their ill-begotten booty.— Alex Cranz also : illicit, improper We need to get money—especially of ill-begotten provenance—out of politics. — Stephen A. Jarislowsky Whatever Channel 8 gained in bucks from this ill-begotten use of news time for huckstering, it more than lost in reputation. — Robert P. Laurence
2 : badly planned : ill-conceived … the partnership collapsed after an ill-begotten attempt to secure the bill's passage …— Michele Wucker
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Casting Light on 'Angel'
- Words We're Watching: 'Lewk'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 11/8/19
- Words We're Watching: 'Nibling'
Ask the Editors
- Confusing Words—A Quiz Take the quiz
- Here Be Dragons: A Creature Identification Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game