: to position (a computer cursor) over something (such as an image or icon) without selecting it
- Many in the class hovered their cursors over words and icons for long periods before committing to clicking their mouse.
- —Kelly Heyboer
: to hang fluttering in the air or on the wing
: to remain suspended over a place or object
- a hummingbird hovering over the flowers
- Helicopters hovered above us.
: to move to and fro near a place : fluctuate around a given point
- Unemployment hovered around 10 percent.
: to be in a state of uncertainty, irresolution, or suspense
- … hovering uncomfortably behind a cigar …
- —Tennessee Williams
- The country hovers on the brink of famine.