: to position (a computer cursor) over something (such as an image or icon) without selecting it
- You start typing in a search term, then hover your cursor over the item you want to delete and press the delete key.
- —Jay Lee
: to hang fluttering in the air or on the wing
: to remain suspended over a place or object
- a hummingbird hovering over the flowers
- Helicopters hovered above us.
: to move to and fro near a place : fluctuate around a given point
- Unemployment hovered around 10 percent.
: to be in a state of uncertainty, irresolution, or suspense
- … hovering uncomfortably behind a cigar …
- —Tennessee Williams
- The country hovers on the brink of famine.