Definition of hit wicket
of a batsman in cricket
: having broken the wicket with the bat or some part of the person in making a stroke at a ball —used in the phrase out, hit wicket —abbreviation hw
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Word Puzzles Take the quiz
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game