hire outphrasal verb
hired out; hiring out; hires out
Definition of hire out
1 chiefly British : to allow someone to use (something) in exchange for money : rent The hotel hires out boats to guests.
2 US, informal : to take a job : to work for wages or a salary She hired out as a cook. He's a teacher most of the year, but in the summer he hires himself out as a tour guide.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- It's a Scorcher! Words for the Summer Heat
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?