Definition of high-maintenance
1 : requiring a large amount of care or maintenance The high-maintenance "Dracula" orchid constantly needs high levels of humidity and cooler temperatures.— Victoria Colliver They can't even afford the high-maintenance hairdos, let alone the Adidas sweats.— Gerri Hirshey
2 of a person : tending to cause problems or demand attention : extremely sensitive, demanding, or temperamental Playing the victim gets you absolutely nowhere, and it only makes you seem tiring and high-maintenance to your boss. — Cosmopolitan Matthäus is the greatest German sweeper since Beckenbauer, but he's high-maintenance. At various times in his career, he has accused a ref of taking bribes, scrapped with a teammate and, three years ago, ripped his universally beloved German teammate Jürgen Klinsmann in a tell-all book.— Jeff Bradley
Keep scrolling for more
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game