het·ero·blas·tic | \ ¦hetərō¦blastik\
Definition of heteroblastic
1 : having an indirect embryonic development —opposed to homoblastic
2 : arising from different germ layers —used of functionally similar organs of related animals
3 : having young and adult forms different heteroblastic leaves of flowering plants
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Words We're Watching: 'Samesies'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 10/18/19
- Noah Webster's Spelling Wins and Fails
- The Disputed Origins of the 'Egg Cream'
Ask the Editors
- Why Do People Pronounce It "Nucular"?
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game