Definition of heightism
: unfair treatment based on height especially : prejudice or discrimination against short people In college, I learned that Fortune 500 CEOs and US presidents are on average 3 inches taller than the average American man, and that every inch of height amounts to a salary increase of almost $800 a year. By the time I landed my first real job it hit me: heightism, a form of discrimination based on height, is as prominent in Western culture as the high-heeled shoe. — Sasha Ginnetti, Hyphen, Summer 2007
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?