chiefly dialectal variant of height
1a : the part that rises or extends upward the greatest distance : the highest part : summit reached the height of the mountain
b : the most advanced or extreme point of something : zenith at the height of his powers during the height of the violence
2a : the distance from the bottom to the top of someone or something standing upright estimating the height of a tree a woman of average height six feet in height
b : the extent of elevation above a level The land reaches a height of 600 feet above sea level.
3 : the condition of being tall or extending upward a great distance He was surprised by her height. other ball players who have more height
4a : an extent of land rising to a considerable degree above the surrounding country
b : a point or position that is advanced or extreme or that extends upward a great distance : a high point or position afraid of heights the heights and depths of love
5 obsolete : an advanced social rank
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Buck Naked' or 'Butt Naked'?
- Do You 'Rein In' or 'Reign In' Something?
- Tiger Mom, Helicopter Parent, and More Words for Parenting Types
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 6/21/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words for Summer: A Quiz Take the quiz
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game