variants: or handhaving \ ˈ⸗ˌ⸗⸗ \
Definition of handhabend
(Entry 1 of 2)
: having possession of stolen goods —used in Old English law of a thief caught with the loot
variants: or handhaving \ " \
Definition of handhabend (Entry 2 of 2)
: the jurisdiction to try a handhabend thief
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
- Hot Enough for You? Words for the Summer Heat
- Where Does 'Run-of-the-Mill' Come From?
- The Provenance of 'Providence'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game