grain of saltnoun phrase
variants: or less commonly pinch of salt
Definition of grain of salt
: a skeptical attitude —used in the phrase take (something) with a grain/pinch of salt I take the guidebooks with a grain of salt, preferring to follow my instincts.— Daisann McLaneThe malleability of memory … is the first reason why autobiographies should be taken with a grain of salt.— Judith Rich Harris
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?