gouge outphrasal verb
Definition of gouge out
1 : to remove (something) by digging or cutting The impact of the accident gouged a big piece out of the wall. He threatened to gouge my eyes out.
2 : to make (a hole or path) by digging or cutting The river gouged out a wide path between the mountains.
an act or instance of returning to life
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game