god's pennynoun, often capitalized G
Definition of god's penny
: a penny or small sum paid as earnest money especially on concluding a purchase or hiring a servant among merchants the god's penny binds the contract of sale— Frederick Pollock & F. W. Maitland
— called also argentum Dei, denarius dei, denier à dieu
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/16/19
- Lovelock to Trichologist: 8 Words About Hair
- The Haiku That Can Pay You Contest Winners
- Must 'Collide' Mean Two Moving Objects?
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?