god's pennynoun, often capitalized G
Definition of god's penny
: a penny or small sum paid as earnest money especially on concluding a purchase or hiring a servant among merchants the god's penny binds the contract of sale— Frederick Pollock & F. W. Maitland
— called also argentum Dei, denarius dei, denier à dieu
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- Is the Word 'Freshman' Going Out of Style?
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 8/23/19
- Getting to the Heart of 'Epicenter'
- 'Conscience' vs. 'Conscious': Let Us Be Your Guide
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Syn City Play the game