go to sleepidiom
Definition of go to sleep
1 : to begin sleeping She lay down on the couch and went (right) to sleep. Tell the kids it's time to go to sleep. After the party, I just wanted to go to sleep.
2 of a part of the body (such as a foot or leg) : to be without feeling for a brief time usually because it has been kept in an awkward position for too long When I started to get up I realized my foot had gone to sleep.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?