get the better ofidiom
Definition of get the better of
: to defeat or trick (someone) by being clever It would be hard to get the better of someone as experienced as she is. —often used figuratively She knew she shouldn't open the package, but her curiosity finally got the better of her and she opened it.
incapable of being surmounted or overcome
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game