get it out of one's systemidiom
Definition of get it out of one's system
1 : to do something that one has been wanting to do so that one no longer feel a strong desire to do it You keep talking about making a cross-country trip. I think you just need to do it and get it out of your system.
2 : to get rid of a strong emotion (such as anger) by doing something He really angered her, so she went for a walk to get it out of her system.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game