Definition of gamp
: a large umbrella halfway to the station my gamp blew inside out — Sydney (Australia) Bulletin often : one that is untidily or loosely tied up if you carry an umbrella use it tightly rolled and never as a gamp — S. D. Barney
Keep scrolling for more
standardized text or formulaic language
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Finance Words Quiz Take the quiz
- Namesakes Word Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game