frighten out ofphrasal verb
frightened out of; frightening out of; frightens out of
Definition of frighten out of
: to keep (someone) from (doing something) because of fear Bad economic news has frightened people out of putting their money in the stock market.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- Up in the Sky: A Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game