frighten intophrasal verb
frightened into; frightening into; frightens into
Definition of frighten into
: to cause (someone) to do (something) because of fear The insurance agent tried to frighten her into buying the most expensive flood insurance. They frightened the boy into confessing his crime.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- What's that Smell?! Quiz Take the quiz
- Farm Idioms Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Bee Cubed Play the game