Definition of freezing process
1 : a process of excavating shafts or tunnels in unstable material (as quicksand) by freezing an area larger than the intended work and excavating in the frozen earth
2 : a method of sinking a shaft through watery strata during the winter by thawing part way through the frozen surface with fire, digging out the softened earth, and then allowing another frozen crust to form and repeating the operations as needed
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary for September 2019
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?