Definition of forward masking
: masking (see masking entry 1 sense 2c) of one stimulus by the occurrence of another stimulus right before it Forward masking is a form of temporal inhibition in which a loud sound suppresses the response to subsequent sounds …— Erik C. Sobel and David W. Tank, Science, 11 Feb. 1994 Some investigators have reported that people with hearing loss exhibit more forward masking than would be predicted based on the test results of normal-hearing individuals.— Vishakha W. Rawool, The Hearing Review, June 2006
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
- We Added New Words to the Dictionary in April 2019
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 4/19/19
- Aww it's So 'Adorkable'
- 'MacGyver': The Verb
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Citation Play the game