Definition of forward masking
: masking (see masking entry 1 sense 2c) of one stimulus by the occurrence of another stimulus right before it Forward masking is a form of temporal inhibition in which a loud sound suppresses the response to subsequent sounds …— Erik C. Sobel and David W. Tank, Science, 11 Feb. 1994 Some investigators have reported that people with hearing loss exhibit more forward masking than would be predicted based on the test results of normal-hearing individuals.— Vishakha W. Rawool, The Hearing Review, June 2006
Keep scrolling for more
a sum of money that is sent as a payment
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game