fly the coopidiom
Definition of fly the coop
1 : to leave suddenly or secretly : to escape or go away In the morning the suspect had flown the coop.
2 : to leave home All their children have flown the coop.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Words from Greek and Latin Quiz Take the quiz
- Name That Thing: Animal Edition Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- SCRABBLE® Sprint Play the game