: the act or state of producing flowers : the period during which a plant produces flowers
- the flowering of the iris
- a plant that should be pruned only when flowering ends
- Early flowering was followed by heat waves in July and August …
- —James Suckling
: an unfolding or development
: a flourishing state or period of new development or growth
- the gradual flowering of his talent
- … when Christians, Muslims and Jews lived and worked together in peace and friendship, producing a rare flowering of art, science and commerce.
- —Liesl Schillinger
- … the theatre is a wonderful testimony to the city's artistic flowering in the era of art nouveau.
- —Robert Fox