Definition of flowering almond
: any of three woody plants of the genus Prunus grown for their showy flowers:
a : a Chinese shrub or small tree (P. triloka) with fruit furrowed and hairy but becoming smooth
b : a low Chinese shrub (P. glandulosa) or a similar Japanese shrub (P. japonica) with smooth unfurrowed fruit
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?