first come, first servedidiom
variants: or first come, first serve
Definition of first come, first served
—used to say that the people who arrive earliest get served or treated before the people who arrive later The campsites are first come, first served, so we'd better get there early.The campsites are assigned on a first-come-first-serve basis."Aren't there any cookies left?" "Sorry—first come, first served."
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Summer 2019 Words of the Day Quiz Take the quiz
- Obscure Shapes Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game