:something invented by the imagination or feigned;
:an invented story
- … I'd found out that the story of the ailing son was pure fiction.
- —Andrew A. Rooney
:fictitious literature (such as novels or short stories)
- was renowned as a writer of fiction
:a work of fiction;
- Her latest work is a fiction set during the Civil War.
:an assumption of a possibility as a fact irrespective of the question of its truth
:a useful illusion or pretense
- it was only a fiction of independence his mother gave him; he was almost totally under her power
- —G. A. Wagner
:the action of feigning or of creating with the imagination
- She engaged in fiction to escape painful realities.