Legal Definition of legal fiction
: something assumed in law to be fact irrespective of the truth or accuracy of that assumption the legal fiction that a day has no fractions — Fields v. Fairbanks North Star Borough, 818 P.2d 658 (1991)
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- Why is there a 'd' in 'fridge' but not in 'refrigerator'?
- 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'?
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Name that Thing: Dog Breeds Take the quiz
- Words You Should Know Quiz, Vol. 1 Take the quiz
- Name That Thing Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game