Definition of ferric sulfate
: a salt Fe2(SO4)3 that is found in nature as the hydrated minerals coquimbite and quenstedtite and is also obtained synthetically (as by oxidation of ferrous sulfate) in the white anhydrous form and that is used chiefly in making iron alums, in pickling metals, as a mordant in dyeing, and as a coagulant in treating industrial wastes
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
- A Guide to Using Colons
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?