fan outphrasal verb
fanned out; fanning out; fans out
Definition of fan out
: to spread apart or to cause (something) to spread apart The police fanned out across the park in search of the suspect. He fanned out his fingers.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- The Exceptions Quiz III Take the quiz
- Musical Words Quiz Take the quiz
- True or False? Take the quiz
- Add Diction Play the game