Definition of fan palm
: a palm having simple fan-shaped leaves (as the cabbage palmetto of the southern U.S., the hemp palm of Europe, the talipot of Asia, the Chinese fan palm, and the Washington palm of California)
— called also fanleaf palm— see dwarf fan palm
an act or instance of editing or removing
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 12 Words For A Lunar Travelogue
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 7/19/19
- On ‘Perpetrate’ and ‘Perpetuate’
- 13 Verbs From The Breakfast Table
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?