Definition of fan palm
: a palm having simple fan-shaped leaves (as the cabbage palmetto of the southern U.S., the hemp palm of Europe, the talipot of Asia, the Chinese fan palm, and the Washington palm of California)
— called also fanleaf palm— see dwarf fan palm
something valued as if it were money
Get Word of the Day daily email!
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Time Traveler Quiz: Which Word Came First? Take the quiz
- Slippery Words Quiz—Changing with the Times Take the quiz
- How Strong Is Your Vocabulary? Take the quiz
- Word Winder's CrossWinder Play the game