even outphrasal verb
evened out; evening out; evens out
Definition of even out
1 : to become level After a long climb the ground evened out.
2 : to make (something) even and smooth Let me even out the rug.
3 : to reach a balanced or middle state between extremes over a period of time The economy had good periods and bad periods, but it all evened out by the end of the year. Any variations will be evened out eventually.
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?
- Where in the World? A Quiz Take the quiz
- Advanced Vocabulary Quiz Take the quiz
- Spell It Take the quiz
- Dictionary Devil Play the game