evec·tion | \ ə̇ˈvekshən, ēˈ-\
Definition of evection
1 : perturbation of the moon's motion in its orbit due to the attraction of the sun
2 in certain filamentous algae : displacement of the base of a new branch with respect to its parent cell so as to result in apparent dichotomy
Keep scrolling for more
Love words? Need even more definitions?Merriam-Webster unabridged
Words at Play
- 7 Words Related to "Work"
- The Parts of the Fruit: Seed, Pericarp, and More
- The Trick to Choosing 'Pawn Off' or 'Palm Off'
- The Good, The Bad, & The Semantically Imprecise - 9/13/19
Ask the Editors
- On Contractions of Multiple Words
- A Look at Uncommon Onomatopoeia
- Is Singular 'They' a Better Choice?